Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

The Subject For This Month's Competition Is 'Trees' Click HERE To Enter .... Check Out The NEW Spring Spotting Challenge HERE ....

Welcome to Nature UK. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use
but If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features.

There are numerous topics members can take part in that are exclusive to Nature UK
including the yearly photography challenges and the seasonal spotting challenges.
We also have a very comprehensive wildlife identification section along with a monthly photo competition.
Please feel free to share your photos with us and any wildlife discussion you may have.

You can also find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Click Here to Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Night Owl's Historical Buildings & Churches.; New Photos Added 13th April
Topic Started: Jun 16 2016, 06:42 PM (1,092 Views)
Night Owl
Member Avatar

With quite a few photos of various churches from Norfolk I've decided to pit them all together in this thread :grin:

One afternoon the weather wasn't great so following a guide book 'Something special in every church' we decided to do a little tour of the local churches .

Starting off with St Andrews Church in Little Barningham a mediaeval church dating from around 1500

Posted Image

The major feature of the interior is the 17th century box pew which stands at the front of the north side of the nave is the large figure of a skeleton in a shroud, holding a scythe and an hour glass. Sadly this is a replica as the original was stolen from the church in 1995 having been in place for over 400 years!

Posted Image

Barningham Winter was next on the list, St Mary's church dates from the 14th century. The nave and tower have been in ruins since the early 17th century set in beautiful open surrounding in the grounds of a private hall.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The 'Something special to see' from the guide book in this church was the carved backdrop behind the alter, A reredos usually depicts religious images but this one features soldiers from WW1.

Posted Image

The parish church of St Peter at Matlaske dates as far back as the Saxon period and has a round tower of Norman origins, part of the original church which stood here between 1066 and 1189.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Medieval corbel heads were the highlight of the interior of this church, each one represent a different mood.
Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll finish this set off with St Andrew's at Wickmere again set in beautiful open countryside with a Saxon-Norman round tower which looks out in all directions, The rest of the church dates from the 14th century.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Had a :giggle: at these 2 stood guard at the side of the church
Posted Image

Looking back at the guide book the must see in this church was a 16th century chest which i didn't take a photo of :doh: so i'll just pretend tha this carving of what looks like a monkey playing a banjo is the highlight :giggle:

Posted Image

Posted Image

:thankyou: for looking ..... :continue:
Quote Post Goto Top

celticsparrow-Jan
Member Avatar

Fantastic photos Julie lovely churches and some very ornate carvings ,I like the banjo playing monkey and the woolley sheep :cool1:
Quote Post Goto Top

Davebutterflyman
Member Avatar

A brilliant set of photos Julie and such a fascinating array of images.

Love that skeleton in a shroud and never seen anything like that before. The round tower church at Wickmere is a wonderful building and has to be one of my favourite Norfolk churches. The corbel heads were very interesting indeed.

I can see what you mean about the monkey playing the banjo! :lol:
Quote Post Goto Top

Grayling
Member Avatar

Very interesting thread Julie and lovely photos - I love the flint churches and the round towers.

What a shame someone thought fit to steal the original of that skeleton in shroud :notfair:

Looking forward to seeing anymore you may have.

:greatpics:
Quote Post Goto Top

Jane
Member Avatar

Very interesting, I enjoyed looking at those :greatpics:
Quote Post Goto Top

Laurie P
Member Avatar
[div style='visibility: hidden']test[/div]
Great set of photos of some lovely churches Julie :goodpost:

We've only been to Norfolk once many years ago, and it wasn't a very long stay, so we didn't see an awful lot of things.

Certainly not any churches so it was nice to see some of them :cool2:
Quote Post Goto Top

JennyWren
Member Avatar
:clap4: A super set of churches , Julie ... what glorious , peaceful surroundings they sit in :cool3:
Quote Post Goto Top

Night Owl
Member Avatar

:thankyou: for the lovely comments everyone :cool:

:yes: Why someone would steal something like that from a church which had been there for over 400 years is beyond me :(

I've got a few more pics which I'll add over the weekend :continue:
Quote Post Goto Top

Night Owl
Member Avatar

Continuing on with a church trail ....

Next stop was St Mary at Itteringham, originally Saxon before being rebuilt and enlarged, the tower was built later in the 14th century.

Posted Image

St John the Baptist was the next on the list, a 15th-century building with a beautiful round flint tower, thought to be over 700 years old.

Posted Image

Stained glass windows inside ...
Posted Image

Posted Image

St Margaret's church at Thorpe Market is an unusual looking church set in stunning grounds and is part of the Norfolk Churchyard Conservation Scheme . The highlight of this one was definitely the church yard which was full of wildflowers.(which I'll post on the flower thread :) )
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

St Mary's Church, Aldborough , an early medieval church built of flint ,the original tower fell in the 18th century, and was replaced by a small bell turret in 1906. The stained glass windows date from 1882.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bessingham at St Mary was the last on the list and I think was the nicest of them all. A Saxon, round tower church dating from approx.1050.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That now concludes our Norfolk church trip :thankyou: for looking :cool:
Quote Post Goto Top

celticsparrow-Jan
Member Avatar

Lovely old churches Julie and in such beautiful locations all have something special and interesting to see :greatpics:
Quote Post Goto Top

Laurie P
Member Avatar
:greatpics: Julie of beautiful churches.

I particularly like the stained glass windows :great:
Quote Post Goto Top

Davebutterflyman
Member Avatar

Some wonderful photos Julie. Both the Aldeburgh and Thorpe Market churches have very unusual spires.
Quote Post Goto Top

Night Owl
Member Avatar

:thankyou: Jan,Laurie & Dave.
Quote Post Goto Top

Eric Hardy
Member Avatar
Wonderful set of photos, Julie. :goodpost:

It is wicked that people steal from churches like the carving you mentioned at Little Barningham. A replica is no substitute for the real thing. The thieves must have some sort of underworld outlet because that carving of the skeleton in the shroud is pretty distinctive and reputable dealers would have been suspicious. There is a church in the north of Buckinghamshire with very beautiful mediaeval miserichords and thieves managed to steal two or three of the carvings from under the seats. Replicas have been made but in spite of being beautifully done they don't have the colour and patina of wood that is centuries old.
Quote Post Goto Top

Davebutterflyman
Member Avatar

I couldn't agree more Eric and it is shocking the depths some people will sink to.
Quote Post Goto Top

Night Owl
Member Avatar

:yes: It was very sad to discover the skeleton was a replica and that someone would just take something that has been there for all those years is awful. I suppose that's why so many churches have to be kept locked now :(
Quote Post Goto Top

Night Owl
Member Avatar

A few photos of Sandringham house in Norfolk.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:thankyou: for looking :cool:
Quote Post Goto Top

AnnB
Member Avatar

It's certainly an impressive looking place, wouldn't fancy all that hoovering though! Great photos Julie.
Quote Post Goto Top

Davebutterflyman
Member Avatar

Me neither Ann!

Superb photos Julie of a magnificent building.
Quote Post Goto Top

celticsparrow-Jan
Member Avatar

Lovely photos Julie a lovely building and grounds :greatpics:
Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Monuments And Historical Buildings. · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Follow NatureUK on Twitter Follow NatureUK on Facebook
Fresh Graphics Custom Theme By Outline