Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

The Subject For This Month's Competition Is 'Trees' Click HERE To Enter .... Check Out The NEW Spring Spotting Challenge HERE ....

Welcome to Nature UK. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use
but If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features.

There are numerous topics members can take part in that are exclusive to Nature UK
including the yearly photography challenges and the seasonal spotting challenges.
We also have a very comprehensive wildlife identification section along with a monthly photo competition.
Please feel free to share your photos with us and any wildlife discussion you may have.

You can also find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Click Here to Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Ann's Reptiles and Amphibians
Topic Started: May 12 2016, 05:40 PM (1,342 Views)
AnnB
Member Avatar

I haven't had much luck yet at photographing reptiles and amphibians, just the occasional frog, toad or newt but a friend of my mum's kindly brought round a Slow worm that she'd found today as word is getting out about my need for "spotting challenge points".
Attached to this post:
IMG_7670_resize.jpg (145.07 KB)
IMG_7680_resize.jpg (170.35 KB)
IMG_7694_resize.jpg (162.6 KB)
IMG_7704_resize1.jpg (144.78 KB)
Quote Post Goto Top

celticsparrow-Jan
Member Avatar

:wow: Fantastic photos Ann.
Quote Post Goto Top

Jane
Member Avatar

:encore: still haven't seen a slow worm for years! :greatpics:
Quote Post Goto Top

AnnB
Member Avatar

Thank you Jan and Jane. I hadn't seen one for years either, until today.
Quote Post Goto Top

Night Owl
Member Avatar

:wow: Fabulous photos Ann :cool1:
Quote Post Goto Top

AnnB
Member Avatar

Thank you Julie.
Quote Post Goto Top

JennyWren
Member Avatar
[div style='visibility: hidden']test[/div]
:girlygiggle: Ann... i'm laughing about .. the word getting around re the Challenge points :grin: Most of the people i know are now used to me mentioning a particular sighting is worth X points :teehee: .. and several go out of their way to drive and spot a sign or some wildlife . I'm thinking of distributing lists to these people :wink:

My last slow worm was over at Woolacombe in a friends kitchen :teehee:
Quote Post Goto Top

Davebutterflyman
Member Avatar

Fantastic photos Ann and a stunning individual as well.
Quote Post Goto Top

AnnB
Member Avatar

Sorry for the delay in responding Jen, yes all my family and friends know about the spotting challenges now and keep a look out for me. Very useful, especially when they know the names of flowers because I don't know my flowers all that well.

a belated thank you, Dave.

I finally managed to get some Lizard photos this weekend at Bentley Wood, they were much more obliging than any I'd seen previously.
Attached to this post:
IMG_8254_resize.jpg (159.87 KB)
IMG_8262_resize.jpg (175.15 KB)
Quote Post Goto Top

Night Owl
Member Avatar

:wow: Fantastic photos & a great sighting Ann :cool1:
Quote Post Goto Top

carlos100
Member Avatar
Insect ID Moderator
Super photos Ann :Cool:
Quote Post Goto Top

Jane
Member Avatar

:woot: Fab sightings and photos!
Quote Post Goto Top

Davebutterflyman
Member Avatar

Brilliant shots Ann.
Quote Post Goto Top

AnnB
Member Avatar

Thank you all, I was as excited to get the Lizards as I was the Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary there.
Quote Post Goto Top

Grayling
Member Avatar

Well done Anne, those Slow Worm photos are lovely. :greatpics:

I also saw two Lizards at Bentley wood on Saturday - they were on a log on the path that leads up to the Ralph Whitlock memorial, sadly no Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries for me :no:

Quote Post Goto Top

JaySteel
Member Avatar
Wildlife Photographer.
Well done. The reason these two were more accommodating, is they are both gravid females. Not only are they now slower and more cumbersome, but they need to spend extra time basking in order for the baby lizards to develop inside their mother.
Quote Post Goto Top

AnnB
Member Avatar

Thank you Grayling and thank you Jason, your explanation makes perfect sense as these two, even if disturbed would come back out to sunbathe within a couple of minutes.

Quote Post Goto Top

JennyWren
Member Avatar
[div style='visibility: hidden']test[/div]
:Cool: So this is the likely time of the year to spot lizards , the photos are great , Ann :nod:

:Cool: Jay , thanks for the info .. it does make sense
Quote Post Goto Top

JaySteel
Member Avatar
Wildlife Photographer.
You're welcome. It won't be long before they give birth to up to a dozen little viviparous lizards. I love these little babies. They are so entertaining to watch. They can be quite acrobatic as they leap through the air to catch small flies. At some sites the newly born young haven't yet developed any fear of man and they can occasionally be picked up without making any attempt to flee. I have had them feeding on small mealworms from my hand.

Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

AnnB
Member Avatar

Awww, that's a fantastic photo Jason.
Quote Post Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Reptiles And Amphibians. · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Follow NatureUK on Twitter Follow NatureUK on Facebook
Fresh Graphics Custom Theme By Outline