Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
This Forum Sadly Is Now Closed, We Have Relocated Nature UK To A New Site
CLICK HERE To Access The New Forum, We Hope To See You There!

Welcome to Nature UK. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use
but If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features.

There are numerous topics members can take part in that are exclusive to Nature UK
including the yearly photography challenges and the seasonal spotting challenges.
We also have a very comprehensive wildlife identification section along with a monthly photo competition.
Please feel free to share your photos with us and any wildlife discussion you may have.

You can also find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Click Here to Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
HALL PLACE BEXLEY; HOUSE AND GARDENS
Topic Started: Aug 20 2008, 11:55 AM (91,019 Views)
Tabatha
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is Hall Place, a local place of interest. It is a museum. Unfortunately they seem to be doing some building work at the moment. There was a notice to say they were making the river banks safer, but I don't know what they are building.

Posted Image

This is a view of the back of the house and of of the topiary, as you can see there is some scaffolding there as well.

Posted Image

There were a few ducks by the River Cray, unfortunately they flew off when I tried to get closer.

Posted Image

The weir on the River Cray, just along from there is where they seem to be building walls to keep people away from the riverbank.
Quote Post Goto Top

Tabatha
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

On the approach to the greenhouse they are growing all sorts of vegetables and flowers. There is a horticultural show on over the Bank Holiday weekend.
Quote Post Goto Top

Tabatha
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are all taken in the greenhouse, the banana tree has been there for many years. The fish pond is also within the greenhouse, and there are some of the plants that they grow. There is a little shop inside where you can buy things. They grow a lot of flowers etc for the local parks here.
Quote Post Goto Top

poppy
Member Avatar
Diamond Member
Fantastic :photo: Tabatha, so much to look at and i particularly like the topiary and the fish but all of them are interesting :thanx: for sharing them, it's so nice to see other places.
Quote Post Goto Top

Beth-Boe
Member Avatar
Diamond Member
:wow: Great photos, Tabatha. The museum looks an impressive building and the grounds are beautiful. I like those hedges that are shaped like animals. Someone there is very talented. :thanx: for posting your pics.
Quote Post Goto Top

celticsparrow-Jan
Member Avatar

:hello1: Tabatha what an amazing looking place just my cup of tea,i would love to spend a day there. :camera: your pictures are fantastic i have enjoyed looking at them very much :thanks:
Quote Post Goto Top

Davebutterflyman
Member Avatar

Wonderful thread tabatha...so much to comment on its hard to know where to start!!...thanks for posting such an indepth selection of photos.
Quote Post Goto Top

Night Owl
Member Avatar

:wow2: Tabatha what a fantastic selection of photos I love the animal shaped hedges it looks like Edward scissorhands has been round there :giggle:
It looks a brilliant place to visit :thanks: for sharing them :cool:
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

:hello1: Tabatha your pics are fab. love the topiary!
:thanx: for sharing them x
Quote Post Goto Top

Daisyjan
Member Avatar
Platinum Member
The gardens are a dream if you can get to them in the summer. This is my childhood stamping ground, and I often played by the river Cray and fell into it!!! There is quite a big colony of I think, Canada geese and ducks as the Cray is very clean, and also boasts pikes and the like.

I used to fish for tadpoles and minnows as a kid, and there is a lovely bridge where yo can play Poohsticks!
Quote Post Goto Top

Tabatha
Member Avatar

:Hi:

I used to take my two boys down by the river when they were younger, it used to keep them amused in the Summer Holidays. I must admit I haven't been down that end for quite a few years now.

As you say, the river is nice and clean now and you do get fish in it. They have built new changing rooms for the footballers recently, I am not sure what impact that has had on the site. There used to be quite a display of daffodils in the Spring as well, I don't know if they still come out. They used to be all along where the railway line runs.

I do wonder if all the building work might put the birds off, there was quite a lot of machinery by the river, near the weir.
Quote Post Goto Top

Davebutterflyman
Member Avatar

sorry tabatha i seem to have missed this thread....fantastic photos and really well put together,thanks for posting them.
Quote Post Goto Top

Tabatha
Member Avatar

Posted Image

This is one of the pumpkins first seen in August
Quote Post Goto Top

Beth-Boe
Member Avatar
Diamond Member
Lovely photo, Tabatha. That pumpkin will soon be ready for Halloween. :kitten:
Quote Post Goto Top

Tabatha
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Unfortunately the building work is still going on, but I managed to walk all the way round to get to the gardens. This is a better view of the topiary.
Quote Post Goto Top

Tabatha
Member Avatar

Posted Image

This is one of the topiary hedges.
Quote Post Goto Top

celticsparrow-Jan
Member Avatar

:wow: What amazing hedges Tabatha ,great pictures.
Quote Post Goto Top

Daisyjan
Member Avatar
Platinum Member
I used to play hide and seek round those!

There are also great formal gardens and a herb/scented garden for the blind.
Quote Post Goto Top

Beth-Boe
Member Avatar
Diamond Member
Great images, Tabatha. :thanks: for posting.
Quote Post Goto Top

Tabatha
Member Avatar

I did take some photos of the herb garden, but I will probably not get around to posting them until the weekend now.

Quote Post Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Monuments And Historical Buildings. · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Follow NatureUK on Twitter Follow NatureUK on Facebook
Fresh Graphics Custom Theme By Outline